Music education is being denied to far too many of America’s children. Budget cuts in schools have eliminated or downsized programs considered nonessential, such as music and art, even though these programs reduce dropout rates and lead to better performance in other areas. It’s up to parents and grandparents to provide the children they love with the chance to learn to play the piano.Today, music legend Quincy Jones has provided an easy way for kids to have fun while learning piano.
How Children Benefit from Learning to Play the Piano
There are so many lifelong benefits to playing the piano that it would be difficult to list them all, but here are a few.
- Increased Self-Confidence: Success breeds success. Learning one skill gives a child the confidence to learn another, one of the most valuable lessons that a child can be given.
- IQ and Creativity: It takes skill and training to play the piano; think about what is required. Piano players develop unique brain abilities, not found in those playing other instruments. An ability to efficiently integrate information leads to more efficient decision making as well as increased creativity.
- Improved Test Scores: Music students have higher grades than others, scoring significantly higher in standardized tests. University studies found a direct correlation between the number of years that students studied instrumental music and academic achievement, particularly in science, languages and math.
- Communication and Language Skills: Music is a form of communication, using syntax instead of words. When students learn music theory, they are learning another way to communicate.
- Social Success: Every successful party needs a musician! A piano can’t be tucked under the arm, but a keyboard can be.
- Relieves Stress: Scientists found that playing a musical instrument actually relieves stress at the molecular level.
- Playing the Piano is Fun: Whenever someone wants to relax and play the classics, jazz, the latest pop or country song or create their own music, the piano is the ideal all-around instrument.